We need your help with fundraising.
Firstly, and most importantly, I hope that you are staying safe and well. These are worrying times for all of us as we work together to protect our families, loved ones and communities from the virus.
As you will understand, Covid19 has massively impacted on XR’s operations, keeping us off the streets and halting some of our plans. As a result, like many good causes, we have seen a significant downturn in donations, which if not addressed may threaten our work.
Colleagues in fundraising have told us that they need a clear narrative when contacting potential donors who are asking what XR’s plans are over the coming weeks and months. Here’s where we need your help.
We are writing to all volunteers, including those in receipt of VLE and those who receive funds as self-employed rebels. We need to know what great things you’re doing and what you hope to achieve over the coming weeks. This will then be turned into a story that we can sell to donors.
We don’t need much from you – just three bullet points:
- This is how many hours I am working each week (on average)
- This is what I am doing – please list your main activities
- This is what I hope to achieve – i.e. why you are doing it and the difference you hope to make.
Example A: a role in Finance might look like this:
- I work 10 hours a week.
- I oversee the accounts, make payments and support work on the budget. In a normal week I process around 150 payments and spend a couple of hours on the budget.
- My work helps to ensure that XR manages its money well and people get paid on time.
Example B: a role in Arts might look like this:
- I work 5 hours a week
- I am designing 3 murals to go on people’s houses
- My artwork will appear on 15 homes across the country helping to spread XR’s messages to the general public. We have had over xxx requests for murals and a team of us are busy designing them.
You can see that it can be short and sweet, although the more numeric information you can give the better. Donors often like to know how much or how many of something, eg the number of followers we have, how many people we hope to get at an event, how many training courses are run, or how many people we might support and so on. Whilst such measures are important, we also value the quality of your work, including how you might be doing things creatively and differently, especially in bringing new cultural perspectives.
We would appreciate a speedy response to this request if at all possible, say within a week. We hope that it’s fairly straightforward but if you need help with your bullet points, or would prefer to talk to someone about your work, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the team will be in touch to speak.
If you claim VLE but your work has had to stop at the moment, do let your team know; there are lots of things that need to be done and we can easily find something else for you to do!
We value your work and are confident that our donors will continue to fund XR if we can get our narrative out to them. Together, we can make a real difference in our fight for climate justice.
With all good wishes.